Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Love Thy Neighbor?

The best part of living in a basement suite, is that you get to share a house with another family! If you're lucky you might develop some sort of neighborly relationship with them. This relationship may only be exchanging a few words every time you see each other, or it might develop into the type of relationship where you feel comfortable enough to borrow a cup of sugar from them.  I think we've developed a pretty special relationship with our upstairs neighbors.


1. Every time we see them out on the front step having a smoke, we smile and say hello and they give us a blank stare.


2. This winter, Ian kept the pathway shoveled (the pathway that leads to both separate doors), the neighbors made their own path on the grass and never touched the shared pathway, I guess we have cooties?


3. When I had to wash a quilt at 10 30 at night and it accidentally got tangled in the washer which made a loud sound, we got a big, hard stomp of the foot from upstairs which wasn't necessary since I had already untangled the quilt from the washer.


4. Today, I think we reached a real milestone in our relationship. It was a typical morning, I was heading to work, the neighbor was on the front step having a smoke. I turned and gave a friendly smile that was almost reciprocated back and then I stepped out into the street towards my car. I had to cross a small patch of icy snow (the only snow left in the whole neighborhood) I had a big pan of cupcakes in one hand and a purse in the other and then the icy snow had it's way with my. I went down and my cupcakes went all over the road. I was mortified, the neighbor had seen the whole thing, but instead of coming over to, you know, see if I was alright or help clean up the cupcakes, he took one more drag of his smoke, put it in the ash can, and went inside. It was as though he didn't see my chaotic fall happen right before his eyes. 


So ya.... we have a pretty special relationship with our neighbors. 

6 comments:

  1. ohhhh peta... those neighbors seem legiiiiit! just poke gus all night long and make him bark right outside their door... that's what i would do. or make sex noisies right into the air vent. that'd be legit also

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Jacquie. I feel for you. I also had a similar cupcake disaster. Our upstairs neighbours are pretty nice, well, I guess they were actually a bit rude when we first moved in but then I gave them cookies and they were all apologetic! They are definitely better than our last ones though. They were TERRIBLE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awe cup cake! really though...poor cup cakes!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Why am I the only guy who comments on your site?)
    Anyway, poor cupcakes...I was with them in their batter stages. Also, I said hi to Mr. Neighbour last night while he was smoking. I don't think he said hi back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love T-Wah's comments on the Tulip. haha. It's actually awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know it's late, but I will be another Guy to comment on "The Tulip", is that a flower?? Just kidding... I am well aware that it's a Boat.

    Just kidding... It's a flower.

    Anyways, This is definitely a sad story about cupcakes and bad neighbors. Our experience in a basement suite was a little different. Our neighbors/landlords had a hottub and allowed us unlimited usage. They would even invite us to join them in it and have some fine wine... We only indulged once... just kidding.

    When is there going to be another Tulip post?

    ReplyDelete